Id No. (Mine / 1902 map):
Date Located / Formed:
Location Map Description:
Discovery / Formed by:
- James F. Burns ()
- John Harnan ()
- James Doyle ()
- Portland Gold Mining Company
-> 1892-02-xx [First Stake Set]
- Queen of the Hills lode - 8404
Location Claim Description:
Mineral Certificate No.:
General Land Office No.:
Known Transportation Connection:
Extra Info/Details [Linked at One Time to the Entity]:
Known Producing Info:
When looking at maps it appears that the Shaft itself is located on the Queen of the Hills lode, while the structures spans into other claims them self.
In June 1900 it was written in Hill's Manual that the main working shaft house on the Burns is 40x130, with wing for boiler, 30x75, also drying room, 11x30, with wing for dynamo and carpenter shop. Large blacksmith shop, with five forges. A 600-horsepower hoisting engine, which is the largest in the camp.
The Burns shaft is a three-compartment shaft and the cages are double deckers. There is an immense compressor plant for supplying drills. Three compressors, one driving eight drills, one driving 16 drills, and one driving 24 drills. Four boilers. There are also two underground hoists, three large pumps; one of 800 gallons capacity at a depth of 900 feet; one of 1,000 gallons capacity at 1,000 feet; one of 1,200 gallons capacity at 1,000 feet lift.