The Florence & Cripple Creek was incorporated in 1893, by William E. Johnson, Eben Smith, D.H. Moffat, et al. It was opened to Cripple Creek in July, 1894. The company owns a narrow-gauge line from Florence to Cripple Creek.
The Golden Circle Railroad was incorporated by the owners of the Florence & Cripple Creek. This property comprises a circle railroad from Victor, passing through Goldfield, thence around Battle mountain to a point very near Altman, on Bull hill.
It was opened for traffic in 1896.
The Canon City & Cripple Creek Railroad runs from Canon City to Oro Junta, where it connects with the main line of the Florence & Cripple Creek. It was opened for traffic in March, 1900.
Both the Florence & Cripple Creek and Canon City & Cripple Creek railroads connect with the Denver & Rio Grande at Florence and Canon City.